Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What I know.

"Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave it with regret? There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." C.S. Lewis

I recently attended several lectures regarding writing within the entertainment industry. The advice was well and good. Over the years I've attended many such discussion panels and nearly all of them included the same bit of advice: "Write what you know".  This often came up in my old writing group as well.

So what do I know? I could speak of with some authority include music, a smattering of philosophy, and various other subjects I have spent time with in my life. Still, what is it that I know best? What overall theme do I really have a grasp on?

Death. Loss. Anger.

I couldn't write comedy, I'm not very funny. What I know is the lifelong pain of loss. What I know is the life long rise of anger that poisons. I know hatred of alcohol. I know hatred of those who abuse people and substances. What I carry with me every day is the fear of who dies next? The self ridicule of how ridiculous my fears are sounds daily in my imagination. I am not the only one to lose loved ones. Who am I to indulge such drama and loathing? 

What I know is a dark place to enter to tell a story, a place I hesitate to wander. I know a life of coming to terms with death.



What I know scares me.

-Restless Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment